Friday, February 22, 2008

I've Been a Sick Puppy

I've been feeling rather under the weather lately. And I'm always thirsty! I've lost a lot of weight and have pain in my back legs. Tim and Daisy were really worried, so they took me to the new Vet. He said to increase my food, since I'm wasting away. I would have been ecstatic, if I didn't feel so crummy. They're being really nice to me too -I think they're worried about me. Of course, I haven't felt up to my so-called "bad" behavior.

It turns out that I am diabetic, whatever that is. They are giving me more food, which I love, of course. I get cottage cheese with my kibble! Denver is jealous and even moved in on my food a few times when I was feeling my worst. Now that I no longer weigh 3 times what she does, she thinks she can push me around. She took a toy from me the other day, too. I think she's getting ornery in her old age. Anyway, the insulin shots really aren't bad at all. They give them to me while I'm eating, so I really don't even notice. I'm not a big fan of the blood glucose monitoring, though -especially on the days when Daisy tests it every 2 hours to get a curve. They use a monitor for humans, but since I don't have fingers to prick, they get the blood from the inside of my lip! Ouch. I go along with it, because there's a treat at the end ( and I'll do anything for food), but I'd rather just get the treat. The oddest thing about this diabetic stuff is when Daisy follows me outside. She tells me to go out back to go pee and then follows me. Then she sticks a glass right under me and collects it! Ick. What a strange thing to do. That is one of the strangest human things I've seen, but I guess it is no different then when they pick up my poop. Well, I like to eat Denver's poop, but I don't drink her pee.

They must be doing something right, because I am starting to feel a lot better. I even got out Tim's ski goggles to play with while they were out. They had brand new lenses, which I scratched on the stone floor. Oops. I love the extra food, and I hope they don't cut back once I gain the weight back. I heard them saying something about keeping me at about 100lbs instead of 95lbs (I was down to 85lbs), so I think I can enjoy the extra food for a while at least.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I am glad to hear you're feeling better! More food is always good, although yarn is more appetizing than ski goggles!
-Oliver